Built in second half of the 18th century. It is a remarkable example of the baroque architecture and a registered monument of the zero category. It represents one of the oldest cultural buildings in Virovitica. It was reconstructed in 2014. and is the new address of the City Administration.
The construction of the tourist pearl of Slavonia, lasted four years (1800-1804). Pejačević Castle was built on the site of the demolished medieval burg by the count Antun Pejačević. It is characterized by baroque – classicist style, and is surrounded by a harmonious park. It all began in 1750, when the Virovitica estate, by Maria Therese’s deed of gift was bought by Josip Pejačević. His son Antun I built a baroque – classicist castle on the foundation of the medieval burg around which the town further expanded (the construction was entrusted to the Viennese architect Roth). The construction was completed by Antun II Pejačević. As a part of the constructionthey did the park landscaping as well. Antun III Pejačević (son of Antun II) sold the castle and estate in 1841 to a German princely family Schaumburg – Lippe. They continued with the arrangement of the park. They owned the castle for 70 years and in that time the estate has been significantly increased. In 1911 the new owner of the catle was Count Ivan Draskovic. Virovitica municipality bought the castle in 1930 and is the current owner of the estate.
Franciscan Monastery and the Church of St. Rocco
With churches in Čakovec and Kloštar Ivanić, the Church of Saint Rocco represents a uniqueexpression of Franciscan baroque of the 18th century. After liberation of Vrovitica from the Turkish reign, Zagreb bishop Martin Borković handed Virovitica parish to the Franciscan province of St. Ladislav. Franciscans settled in the town and built a monastery and the Church of Saint Rocco. Construction of the church began in 1746 and lasted untill 1752. It was heavily damaged in 1757 by a horrific earthquake. The church interior is among the most prominent baroque interiors in Croatia. In addition to the main alter there are eight side altars and a pulpit. Altairpieces and carpentry work was done by Franciscan carvers and sculptors: Luka Auleidner, Gerard Lohenbauer, Damjan Pitner and Timothy Schwab. The Church of Saint Rocco is also a cultural spot in Virovitica as it hosts many concerts.
The Building of the first Croatian Savings Bank, a monument of the 19th century, was built according to the Viennese building standards with details proving Virovitica as the market centre of the time. Virovitica was known through history as a place of trade and fairs. Statue of Mercury, the Roman god of commerce, is located at this very building and is also the address of the FINA office today.
Century-old gymnasium is one of the most beautiful buildings in the city. From the very beginning, this educational institution has become a symbol of knowledge and progress of Virovitica.In 1968 the school was named “Petar Preradović Gymnasium“, after the poet who was born in Grabrovnica, thirty kilometers from Virovitica. Today, gymnasium holds programs of general, linguistic and natural science orientation.